Jism 2.
“Why did you even have to come this way? There is a good route
somewhere else! This is no route” said someone who appeared to be senior man in
a group of people sitting at the road
junction of the village when asked about the directions to SatyaMangalam (SM). Bemused bystanders there chipped in enthusiastically to our enquiry. Then,
the same senior man, perhaps, saw the adventure glint in Deepak’s eye and said smilingly
that we could still reach SM on motorcycles but be cautioned that a stretch of more than 10 kms is just mud track. In fact, that advice turned out to
be an understatement. More than 20 kms of road was plain 4WD track. Our man probably
wanted us to do this course just for fun of it. I thank him for not
demoralizing us at that point. That moment , I really didn’t want know how far
was SM. Forest road ahead was so appealing that we just wanted move on. We knew it was a roundabout
trip to SM and we realized it more so on our way back in the regular route. Anyway,
for us” Jism-2” started from here.
This route, for about 100 kilometres, is
sheer jungle barring few hutments of 2 or 3 villages in the valleys between
hills. I still cannot figure out this route on Google maps (perhaps, the genius
in Guru did it).In the commotion and lack of foresight I forgot to switch on my
GPS too. The names of the tiny settlements
are missing in Google map and I cannot remember them from what I heard from the
people while asking directions there. It looked a utter “no man’s land”.
Incidentally, the bikes handled very well. They did serious off-roading in
spite of not being generic model for the purpose. At one point, we were in the
middle of jungle and we had covered quite distance on 4WDtrack and stopped: got
off our bikes to chat about it. It was quiet around and then, we heard a loud noise:
a roar or may be a grunt, probably of an elephant. We looked at each other
sensing the seriousness of the situation. There was a road ahead of us: again,
it was a climbing jeep track with plenty of gravel and the bikes were on stand.
No way could you rush off on bike if there was an elephant attack. I still don’t
know what we would have done if there was one. Probably in a situation like
this “luck favours the brave” model works. It worked then, even though we were disoriented
with fear. Anyway, we managed to move away from that place without any
incidents. Later, it was same off-roading on this 200kg bike with limited manoeuvrability for another about 2 hours( how I wish I had
my Duke200 then). I have never seen so
many elephant dungs in one day so far counting in my limited trek experience. There
were dried to fresh fuming ones. This area seemed to be dedicated to wild life,
a kind of de facto reserve area: the road roads are left untouched by the
authorities. There were no signs of repair either. Only the borders of the road
had bike paths typical 4WD tracks. We never saw any vehicles apart from few Splendors
for nearly 3 hours in this core of the jungle area.
Time just flew. Huzefa and Deepak remained spirited
throughout. In fact, I was fatigued:perhaps my age is catching up. I have to
mention what Huzefa said towards the end this ride “I love my bike even more
now”. Obviously, he was referring to its remarkable performance in a territory
alien to it and I couldn’t agree with him no more.
I haven’t seen the movie Jism2 and I wonder if it was as
adrenaline packed as this ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment